Resurgence Recap

Despite trials and tribulations, we had a fantastic tournament down in Manhattan! Our local Press-Ganger Nick did a fantastic job not only organizing and promoting this tournament, but also of keeping everyone happy and having fun. He had his work cut out for him too, as the GS Owner had accidentally double-booked the day, even though Nick gave him months of advance notice. The Warhammer Historical folks took up the whole usual tabletop space in the basement, which meant we had to make do with the small RPG room on the ground floor. With 10 players, we constantly had 2 that were sitting out and waiting for a table (thankfully, not me), while the rest of us played in such narrow quarters, that we often found ourselves getting to know each other much more intimately than we would have liked!

Ok, on to my games, I was one of 2 Khador players, so I was feeling the pressure for the Khador coin... my preciousssss... I definitely know what it feels like to covet something meaningless! But I digress.

Game 1: me vs. Joe (Cygnar)
25 pts: pIrusk, Kodiak, min Winner Guards +UA +3 Rocketeers, Full Iron Fans +UA, Windowmakers.
Joe ran: Kraye, Charger, Hunter, Iron Clad, Gunmages, and I think another 'jack?

I took the time to look at Kraye's card again, and I'm glad I did, as I learned he can reasily give his army pathfinder. I still casted Inhospitable ground a couple of times just to keep him honest.

My first or second turn was extremely fortuitous. 2 of my Winner Guard rockets deviated agonizingly perfectly into his gun mages. One rocket landed amidst 3 of them! After the Windowmakers picked off the straglers, he was down one full unit that never got to roll dice. On turn 2, I also ran my unit of Pikemen, and then popped the UA mini-feat Defensive Formation, giving them another full advance. They covered the entire distance of the board and tied up Joe's ranged 'jacks. No more taking pot-shots at Kodiak, good sir! Kodiak tried to stick a charge at Ironclad, fell woefully short (I'm terrible at judging distances), and got counter-charged and wrecked in one turn.

However, with my WG and IFP coming up both sides of the board, slowly munching on his 'ranged 'jacks, and Windowmakers pinging 3-4 pts of health off of Kraye, the Cygnaran 'caster started to feel a little nervous. So naturally, he went for it. He doubled Ironclad's speed, had it run up and engage my 'caster. I tried to retaliate by blowing all my focus smacking it with Irusk's gunblade, and even CMAing with my WG! The next turn, the Ironclad took some swings, but had a hard time hitting, and Kraye took some boosted shots... leaving Irusk at 2 health boxes! The Hunter, much to my horror, then walked out of my sea of WG with the help of parry, but without a cortex, missed his shot on Irusk. I retaliated hard, and won on a 'caster kill.

MVP of the match: IFPs, for tying up Joe's major threats on turn 2.

Game 2: Jason (Cryx): eSkarre, Leviathan, Seether, necrosurgen and stitch thralls, a unit of mechthralls, bloodgorgers, and 2 melee arc nodes.

I still count myself as new to Cryx, this being maybe me third game against them all-time. And it showed, as I walked into their tricks like it must have looked on first contact between the forces of the Sharde Isles and the townsfolk of Southern Cygnar. My WG fired away at mechthralls, ignoring the necrosurgen, second turn. Third turn on, the horrified conscripts started firing and grape-shotting away at the necrosurgen, but to no avail. Kodiak chose not to deal with the arc-nodes, and by the end of round 3, eSkarre had arced hellfire at pIrusk, shot him with boosted shots from Leviathan, and and shot him up some more with her own ranged weapon. I had wondered why she would galavant all the way straight up the middle to go for the kill, but I didn't realize I was so exposed. If she hadn't succeeded in getting the win, she would have popped her feat anyway, granting her full immunity.

Game 3: me vs Ed (Khador)
Ed and I were both 1:1, so this was a 'coin game'!
He fielded a list I had seen before, except instead of eVlad fenris, Draghun, 2 Doomreavers, Manhunter, he had pButcher, and added a Beast 09, Widowmakers, and other stuff. He blitzed down the middle, and rolled my stuff. In hindsight, I made some major tactical errors, as my list isn't exactly bad against his. I now had 2 warjacks, with the addition of a Marauder at the 50 pts level. They could have counterpunched harder than they did. My WG, with Iron Flesh and Bob and Weave, would have been almost unhitable at DEF 17, againsgt a force with only one blast template (Destroyer). They should have been clogging up the middle zone instead of getting bunched in my zone. NEVER charge Beast 09 with IFPs, especially one backed by 4 mechaniks. Also, at one point, I could have run Eiryss into his back scoring zone, which he had accidentally left vacant. Instead, I disrupted his Destroyer, wooptie do! I lost on Scenario points, 4-2, but we both agreed it was an intense battle. My mental errors totally piled up in this battle, as brain-fatigue was sinking in, but I don't regret it at all.

Impressions: Our Warmachine scene is alive and kicking! The players were all very nice and great sports. I was somewhat amused that in this tournament, I battle-lusted my WG more times than I battle-lusted my IFPs! (2 to 1). Not exactly proud of that fact, but meh!

Anyway, next up, Templecon! Where I will be Eternal-war-ing it up, playing on Saturday's Midnight Madness, and Sundays Highlander. I'll also be trying out as many new games as possible, obviously!

Comments